Thursday, May 3, 2012

Timeslips and Montana

This past week of class, I actually was not present.  I was blessed to be able to drive out to Augusta, Montana with my parents to watch my little sister graduate from Montana Wilderness School of the Bible.  It was such a joy to be there.  (I attended the school two years ago.)  It was refreshing to spend time with my parents and then with the people at the school, to whom my heart is very attached.  I thank the Lord for that opportunity.  He is good to me far beyond what I deserve.

So I did a little bit of research on timeslips, to see what they are and how they are used and why people like them so much.  Timeslips are used primarily for patients with Alzheimer's.  They allow them to create stories about random pictures.  Below is a link for the official timeslips website.  The thing that I thought was really neat about timeslips is that they don't pressure people to remember, but they allow them to be creative with their imagination.  At the same time, it challenges them to be thinking and be stretched cognitively whereas they might not be in other activities.  This activity helps them to engage with their caretakers and fellow peers and it allows them to effectively communicate.  Everyone loves a good story.

http://www.timeslips.org/

Here is an article talking about the benefits and effectiveness of  timeslips:  http://www.disabled-world.com/health/aging/alzheimers/storytelling-program.php

No comments:

Post a Comment